Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Spread of Euroleague, viewing in America



Euroleague, similar to many other European leagues, have teams that are part of a Club.  And by that I mean that their name, crest, and management are all part of one organization.  For example, 2 of the Euroleague teams are Real Madrid and F.C. Barcelona.  However, the F.C. Barcelona team site is simply the football team's site with a hard to find link to the basketball team, thus taking away the possibility for fans to learn about the team and even buy tickets.  On the other hand the F.C. Barcelona Club has a huge football fan base which can therefor transfer to basketball when a football game isn't on.

Any thoughts?
Mikey Mintz

Euroleague Team Site

4 comments:

  1. This topic is similar to what we talked about in class a couple weeks ago. The club is a sports business and unlike in america, people are fans of clubs not individual teams. It is a whole different system than in the United States. Personally, I think that the club system is a bit skewed. As a fan, I enjoy having my individual teams for each sport. It also makes for more business opportunities such as marketing, and merchandising. Which do you prefer? The idea of clubs or individual teams?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say I much prefer individual teams because if a Club goes bankrupt to to a struggling roller hockey and handball team, I would be really pissed that I can no longer watch basketball, my favorite of the sports.

    -Mikey

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I said before, I agree. It has been brought up in another blog about all many of the other FC Barcelona Sports teams are negatively affecting the club as a whole, including basketball. Football is the clubs most important sport. Do you think it could change? Do you think that basketball could take off in Europe and become popular second?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Football will never be overtaken in europe... also I've seen lakers, knicks, celtics, even spurs hats and jerseys worn around barcelona

    ReplyDelete